Friday, March 25, 2011

Is it better to homeschool a special needs child?

ABSOLUTELY!

Of course I do believe in homeschooling all of my children, but having 2 special needs children now are presenting a unique challenge. With these challenges come the question, wouldn't school be better for them? And believe me, I have been asking that. Maybe if my 6 year old had been in kindergarten last year he would have done better, or maybe they would have caught his problems earlier. And how can I possibly find the time to do all the therapies at home for him and his baby brother. Wouldn't a public school teacher be better equipped to handle all of this?

To give you a better idea of what "all of this is" I'll share my chart, it's not quite complete yet. When I look at it, I know I won't be perfect at getting all of this done, but how would a public school teacher be able to accomplish three hours of work with Brian a day not during regular school time? And if I had to do it when he got off of the bus at 4:00 what kind of life would he have? Plus, no school system offers vision therapy like Brian needs. It's not universally accepted yet, so they wouldn't do any of the other activities with him. He would be treated for visual processing delays, without the correction of mechanical difficulties that will always be a problem for him. So tell me, why is public school better than personal tutoring with someone who loves him and wants what is best for him? This is only my first of many reasons why I believe homeschooling is best for a special needs child!


Brian (6)

Daniel (2)

Patch right eye for 3 hours 4 days a week and left eye 2 days a week for 3 hours (not during regular learning time) while doing fine motor activities

Patch eye 2 hours a day

15 minutes of handwriting

Read a book

Wheel barrel walking, arm exercises, upper body exercises

Sing songs

Auditory practice (on computer 15-30 minutes

Stringing beads, puzzles,

Brain training (crossing the midline)

Jumping, stairs, rotating

A variety of eye exercises after patching

Speech babble, “wh” questions, story sequencing

Oral motor strengthening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!