Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How do you get it all done? Part 2

So yesterday I shared about how Jesus Christ always took time for his followers and gave his all. And that fruitful labor is what we are called for. But a friend pointed out to me that homeschooling is the equivalent of a full time job. Her point was that the children should be pitching in to help with household chores to allow you to "work" your full time job. But as mom's do we treat our day as if we did have a job? I've been seeing this on facebook lately

"So you ask...Do I work? Uh yes, I work 24 hours a day. Why? Because I am a Mother. I am an alarm clock, a cook, a maid, a teacher, a nanny, a nurse, an EMT, a handyman, a security officer, a photographer, a counselor, a referee, a chauffeur, an ATM, a jungle gym & a comforter. I don't get holidays, sick pay or days off. I work through the DAY & NIGHT. I am on call at ALL hours. Post if you are a proud mother...

Yes this is true, it makes us want to applaud mothers. But I've been thinking about Earl. When he has work the next day, he goes to bed at a sensible hour, sets his alarm, gets up and gets ready for the day, packs his lunch, and goes to work. He gets a lunch break, but not a nap, he has to accomplish certain tasks whether or not he is tired. His work has to meet a certain standard or he doesn't have a job. There are times when he is on call, and has to work extra hours without a choice. How much different is being a mom? What if we looked at our day like a career instead? We can be a CEO and delegate to our children, we can ASK our spouses for help if we need it or if affordable we can hire help. But what if we actually set our alarms, got up before our children and were ready for our "job." I disagree with this quote, in the sense that we do get breaks and we never work day and night. There are times when we do but then just like in a real job we can have a day of rest to catch up.

For more ideas on running your house on a schedule, check out this blog. She mimicked her husbands work routines in her home.

Jesus took time to rest, and so should we. But just like our husbands, it needs to be after the work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!